Sony fined in UK over PlayStation cyberattack
FILE - In this Aug. 19, 2009 file photo, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan President Shawn Layden displays a new PlayStation 3 during a news conference in Tokyo, Japan. Britain’s Data Regulator fined Sony 250,000 pounds ($396,100) on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013 for having insufficient security measures to prevent a 2011 cyberattack on its PlayStation Network. The attack in April 2011 targeted credit card information through Sony’s PlayStation Network and put millions of users’ personal information - including names, addresses, birth dates and account passwords - at risk. (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye, File)
LONDON - British regulators fined Sony 250,000 pounds ($396,100) on Thursday for having insufficient security measures to prevent a cyberattack on its PlayStation Network.
The attack in April 2011 targeted credit card information through Sony's PlayStation Network and put millions of users' personal information — including names, addresses, birth dates and account passwords — at risk.
Britain's Information Commissioner's Office said Thursday that security measures in place at the time "were simply not good enough." It said the attack could have been prevented if software had been up to date, while passwords were also not secure.
David Smith, deputy commissioner and director of data protection, acknowledged that the fine for a "serious breach of the Data Protection Act" was "clearly substantial" but said that the office makes "no apologies" for that.
"There's no disguising that this is a business that should have known better," he said in a statement. "It is a company that trades on its technical expertise, and there's no doubt in my mind that they had access to both the technical knowledge and the resources to keep this information safe."
Smith called the case "one of the most serious ever reported" to the data regulator.
Latest Tech Galleries
The world's last remaining wooden whaling ship has sailed again. Built in 1841, retired 80 years later, and kept on display since then, the Charles W. ... More The world's last remaining wooden whaling ship has sailed again. Built in 1841, retired 80 years later, and kept on display since then, the Charles W. Morgan set sail in July in the waters off Cape Cod. Once it roamed the seas to harvest whales. After more than five years of restoration, the majestic sailing ship is now used as a tool at Mystic Seaport to educate the public about preserving and protecting whales. Read more about the Charles W. Morgan: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140724-whaling-ship-new-england-boston-connecticut-sailing/
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:39, Views 23