Off and running
Though it would be more than a decade before the name reached any level of brand recognition, Research In Motion was actually founded by two engineering students way back in 1984. Current co-CEO Mike Lazaridis was on board from day one, but contrary to popular belief, his chief exec counterpart Jim Balsillie didn't join RIM until 1992, when he reportedly mortgaged his home to put $250,000 into the company. RIM began as an electronics and computer science consulting business, and within four years of its start-up would begin focusing on transmitting wireless data, a hallmark decision for the fledgling tech enterprise.
* Video: Steve Jobs fires shot at RIM
Third generation Ice Racer Jimmy Olson says he was born to build and drive. With a custom built engine and studded tires, Jimmy takes the wheel and hit... More Third generation Ice Racer Jimmy Olson says he was born to build and drive. With a custom built engine and studded tires, Jimmy takes the wheel and hits the ice for a heart-pounding ride around the track.
Date 14-03-07, Duration 3:49, Views 3316
Latest tech videos
How quick are you to adopt new technologies?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- I'm a tech-head — first in line to buy the latest and greatest.
- I'll typically wait for the first wave to pass and the bugs fixed before diving in.
- If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I hang on to my tech goodies for good reason.
- I'm still using a VCR and my late '90s flip phone.